CCTV Installations Secrets That Will Give You the Best Possible Security Solution
CCTV is an important security system used both in our homes and business premises. CCTV helps you deter personal and property theft or crimes by monitoring, recording, and transmitting footage images. The images can be monitored by yourself, your family member, security personnel, allowing you to keep vigil of your premises 24 hours a day.
However, like other electronic gadgets, they don’t come cheap, and that’s why you must get the best of any set you buy. To this end, here are the secrets to ensuring that you get the best protection from your CCTV cameras.
1. Represent your surveillance needs in the form of a diagram
You won’t be able to monitor every nook and cranny of your house simply because this is both inefficient and expensive. This means you must prioritize the areas that are most important to be watched. Sketch a diagram of your house and note where cameras might need to be placed. When finished check out each place to make sure that it offers the best view and that it’s not blocked.
Cameras will be needed for:
- Off-street windows
- Front door and back door
- Large common spaces
- Purchase the Right Package for Your Needs
Generally, it’s easier and cheaper to purchase bundled security systems as opposed to buying each piece individually. Your system should have a minimum of 1-3 cameras, appropriate wiring, power cords, and DVR.
- Basic Home Security: This gives you 2-3 outdoor cameras and a DVR with a minimum recording time of three days.
- Monitoring young children/valuables: 1-3 wireless cameras will ably cover a small room and have the footage streamed right to your laptop or desktop.
- Set a recording device and a monitor in place
For you to have a record of your footage for your viewing, you will need a digital video recorder (DVR). This receives the video feeds and broadcasts them onto your monitor. The monitor can be a small TV or computer screen. DVRs have different memory capacities that enable them to store a particular amount of video.
- If you go for a complete surveillance package, the DVR is often part of the set.
- NVRs or network video recorders and analog recorders like VCRs can also be bought. They work similarly to a DVR and may use blank tapes (VCR) or an internet signal (NVR)
- Use Siamese Cables for Effective Wiring of Your System
Siamese is one of the most commonly used surveillance cables, and it is so-named because it comprises of two cables joined together. These are video and power cable. It means that you will only require running one wire through your house to set the camera up.
- The video cable is the red cylindrical wire. Each end consists of either a coaxial cable or a BNC attachment.
- The braided black and red cable is for power. Black is negative and red is positive.
There is no denying that installing a CCTV camera in your property will increase security. Always go for the most suitable package that meets your needs. For the best results, it’s advisable to hire a professional installation expert. You also need to prioritize the parts of your home that need surveillance as you cannot monitor every inch of the home.